Monday, January 24, 2011

Do you think something really good can come from this?

Do you think something really good can come from this? he said with a shaky voice as we stood on the front door step that night. I know this sounds ludicrous and you have no reason to believe me, but I did not want to have sex with her, that was not my intention. As I stood there in the summer night and watched these words fall from my husbands lips, confused, numb, he said, I dont know if it's ok to touch you, but I just want to embrace you. Then I heard myself say words that I knew had come from God, I think something good can come from this, but we have a lot of work ahead of us, I know he said as he looked into my eyes, I know. What I did not tell him, that night and perhaps have not articulated very well to him even now, or perhaps even to myself, is that, that night in that empty parking lot, when I got out of the car and tried to walk away from my reality, when I asked God what was going on here? I felt God whispering to my soul, that this was something that was going to take us to a very good place, quickly in my mind I saw this pain (this pain that I did not even fully recognize yet) forcing us to change, and bringing us to a place of realness, a place of peace, a place of wholeness and oneness. It was that quick glimpse of hope that was undeniable, I had seen it, heard it, not audibly but it was there, and I remember looking up at the stars as it was happening and even chuckling to myself, thinking this is crazy! Then back on the door step, God must have shown him the same thing, because how could he have known? God must have given him the same glimpse of hope, to show us that he was for us, that though things looked bad, and were bad, God was still in control and still on the throne, and still had good plans. As we stood there that night, and looked at each other, and he asked me that question, I wanted so badly to say, YES, I believe it, that is what God told me, something really good is going to come from this! but I was too numb. It's been almost 5 months since the events of that night came crashing down on us, changing the course we were on, and I must admit, I hate the sin that held my husband captive and that will never change, but I am beginning to see that God in all his greatness has had a plan with all of this pain, a beautiful plan. We are learning "learning" to become more like him through all of this, yes we fail, I fail every day, but I refuse to stop trying, to stop this process of dying to self and to the world, at times it is more painful than I think I can handle, and it is at those times, that Jesus reminds me to press on, keep going, we are not there yet. Jesus endured the cross for me, the painful uphill battle of dragging that heavy cumbersome cross on his bloody back, he did not stop, he pressed on and went forward, he did it because he loved me, he did it because he loved all of us, and he did it because he knew that we all would need freedom from ourselves, and freedom from this world. should we also not learn to carry our own crosses? carry them to a place where the flesh can be crucified? remember that that is not the end of the story, after death comes the glorious resurrection, I dont understand how it all works and dont pretend to, but I believe that God has displayed for each one of us, that in this world we will have trouble, and if we are to take heart, because he has overcome the world, then should we not take heart in carrying our own crosses too? because though him and only through him can we also overcome this world.

1 Peter 2:24
“He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment