Friday, August 5, 2011

Big Dreams and Meager Beginnings

baby squash
One of the greatest things about this journey to our new life is that we get to rebuild it, design it the way we want to. One of the things we have dreamed of is growing our own food, breaking free, living more simply, I want to be a farmer, don't laugh, its true! I have big dreams, dreams of growing tons of healthy organic fruits and vegetables, raising chickens and having our own farm fresh eggs, raising bee's (can you really raise bee's?) ok... maybe keeping bee's and getting our very own honey from the comb. I want to rise up early with the sun (maybe not every morning) and tend the garden, I want my husband to be able to be satisfied and blessed by the work of his hands, I want him to have the time to do what he is very gifted at... write. I want our children to learn to work with their hands, to see life come from seed, to eat food that is alive and gives the gift of exuberance, to sit around a big table adorned with flowers grown from our patch of earth, and family and friends to enjoy the sustenance that comes from Gods provisions, to enjoy the gift and the miracle of people, relationships, love. The dream goes even further I want to be able to sustain our own family with the food that we grow, then I want to sell it at farmers markets, and give it to those in need, I want to help other families break free too, I want to bless them with food that comes from the earth, and I want to write about it, about what God teaches me... us, through it, so many parables from the garden to be learned. So where do we start, I ask my husband? right where we are! "bloom where you are planted" he says......hmmmmm...... bloom where I am planted. I have realized that not many good things in this life come without working for them, maybe its the work itself that makes the pay off so worth it, the effort, the waiting, the times of uncertainty, the little pay offs along the way, the investment, the time it takes to learn the trade, or to learn the way, but in the end you have something to show for it, I hope to take what I have, this home, this yard, and be a good steward of it, right now is the beginning and it is meager, but as I look at what is growing in my yard, it brings me hope, hope for the dreams inside of me, hope for the new beginnings and new life taking shape, the food in our garden is growing, growing into the dreams that inspired them to be planted, the hope we have for a new life, a better life is growing too, and this inspires me to move forward in these beginnings.

basil


This is what we have planted so far:
Lemons
Limes
Basil
Carrots
Squash
Chili Peppers
Kale
Aloe Vera
Sun Flowers
Other Flowers
rosemary
Oregon snap peas

3 Kids
2 Dogs
1Cat
A Husband and a Wife
And a partridge in a pear tree
(hmmmm a pear tree)



       

No comments:

Post a Comment