Friday, July 29, 2011

In Repentance and Rest

Hurried, we run, catching up, making things happen, pushing, pulling, forcing.... words and actions far too familiar for me. I am learning that we move more in the stillness, make more progress in our patience and the more we let go of the more we are able to hold onto. There is a famous quote by Abraham Lincoln that I love, it says "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe" wow! Now that's powerful! we can beat ourselves down with fighting, pushing and pressure, worry and fear, thrusting bloody fists at the air, or.... we can sit, Quietly sharpening our axe under the tree we have set out to chop down. Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that there are not things worth fighting for, On the contrary there are many noble things worth the fight, but what I am saying is "what if" fighting for somethings looks differently than we have always believed? What if we were to fight in God's power and not our own strength, what if fighting looks like trusting and believing Gods promises and living my life as though they are true? what if it means letting go of my agenda and embracing him, being ok with his slow work in my life, and the lives of those I love, trusting in the purpose God has for me, and for them, what if it means turning my back on the "instant success" mentality of the culture at large and embracing the truth of God that says growing a tree with deep roots takes time, building a house on sand is foolish, and though a righteous man (or woman) may fall 7 times they will rise again. What if fighting looks like changing the way I think? saying no to the lies? changing my perspective to capture my circumstances in a different light, what if nothing in my life changes....... except me? Maybe the fight looks more like me letting go and fighting the urge to pick it back up, I love this verse in Isaiah that says “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength" I believe it is in this place of repentance and rest and quietness and trust that our axes are being sharpened. So go on, fight for God's best in your life. Once that dead tree is chopped down there will be room for his oak of righteousness to be planted in your life, that you may be a display of his splendor.



  1. Isaiah 61:3
    and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment