Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Why Women Need Other Women

I grew up as somewhat of a tomboy, I played softball and was really good at it (minus the running part) I loved to build things in the back yard, get my hands dirty, and as I grew up I found that most of my friends were guy friends, now that being said I have always had one or two core girl friends in my life, As I have grown and especially as I have faced the trials of married life, I don't know where I would be without the constant support of some of my best girl friends. Women are some of the strongest creatures that I believe God ever made, yes men are strong too.... but this strength I speak of is of a different nature, women have the ability to go through hours of agonizing labor in childbirth, and then turn around and love that little person who caused them soo much pain for the rest of their lives, women are nurturing and relationship building by nature which can make us more vulnerable to heart break from many different sources, women have a strength inside of them that can help them to face trials and hardship and still come out more beautiful than before they went in, I have had the opportunity to see this happen and to know many truly godly women of integrity. No one can fully understand the complexities of being a mom and being a wife, and all the struggles of daily life and just being a woman quite like another woman, and it's good to be understood, in fact this is a cry of our hearts isn't it ladies? Woman need other woman to help lift them up, to help them know that they are not alone, to share their struggles with, confide in, pray with, keep each other accountable and to help them know they are "normal" they need them there to help scrub nail polish that has been splattered by their youngest ones out of the kitchen linoleum, watch each others kids when needed and laugh, laugh, laugh with, Yes, we need each other because this life can be hard and draining, and being a mom and wife are sometimes no easy task, as rewarding as they are! I need other woman in my life to sharpen me and they need me to sharpen them, to encourage one another to keep going and to keep looking up. I am grateful for the woman in my life, grateful for the friends that have spoken the truth in love to me, who have prayed for me and with me when I was falling to pieces, There have been many who have walked along side me, along side us during this process of healing.... but for me, none closer than my best girl friend Harmony, during the early days of this journey she spent almost everyday with me, there is one memory in particular, it was early on, when she got here I was a mess, standing over the sink doing my best to do a sink full of dirty dishes and she asked me how I was doing? I looked at her and just broke, crying so hard, I nearly collapsed as I put my head on her shoulder, water still running , and said "I am so broken, I don't know how I can do this anymore" she had no words she just prayed and let me cry on her shoulder, she just stood with me, and petitioned the Father on my behalf as I sobbed and ached and the water in the sink flowed and the dishes could wait, then we sat and talked for hours, as was our custom in those early days, and I asked her to help me focus on something good, and she did, and she did this most days, and I am grateful! this is why women need other women, this is why I'm so very fortunate for a friend like Harmony and all those who have been there for me, and I pray that I  might be a blessing in the lives of other women, to be their shoulder to cry on and the voice to speak out the positive, over and over until it starts to become real.     

No comments:

Post a Comment